Thursday, August 15, 2013

Chicago


We arrived in Chicago with two days to do the tourist thing before Brady's tournament started.
We were actually about 30 minutes from downtown Chicago...but I like to say we were in Chicago...
cause that is one happening place! 

We were in awe of just how beautiful the city was.

This path runs alongside the entire lake.  So many people were out walking, running, biking, pushing strollers, etc.along this beautiful trail.  I love how active and alive Chicago feels.


I used my camera phone instead of lugging my big camera around the city.

We started the day off at  Navy Pier.
Navy Pier is a 3300 sq foot long pier that was built in 1916 primarily to be used
as a cargo facility.  Today it is Chicago's #1 tourist attraction.
We had the place to ourselves for about an hour before things really started hopping.
So many little shops and fun restaurants and boat tours and things to do along the pier.







I love all the flags against the sky.


Chicago was so much more beautiful than I imagined it would be.




Checking out the lighthouse way out there.












We walked many blocks in the city to find the best pizza in all of 
Chicago- Giordanos.  My friend Deanne told us about this place...and just
to be sure it was the best, I asked a couple of locals who also confirmed it to be true.
Brady had lasagna and Eric and I each got our own personal pizza and salad. 
IT WAS SO GOOD!  I wish we could have eaten there one more time before leaving Chicago!







These sculptures were everywhere and each one had a different plant/flower
in the top of it that gave them all a fun look.  


These canoes were all strung together by heavy wire.  We tried to 
move it but it wouldn't budge!




Brady asked if we could go on the double decker bus tour.  It was a 2 hour
bus tour through the city.  You could get off at different tour stops or stay on the 
bus all day long.   Brady loved listening to the tour guide tell stories about
Chicago's history, interesting facts about the buildings and architecture and seeing all the sights.  I am so glad we did this....it was definitely one of our favorite things we did on our trip. I highly recommend taking the tour especially if you have limited time and want to see all of downtown Chicago.


We got off the bus at the old Sears Tower building which is now called the Sky Deck.
It's the tallest building in Chicago and I believe the second tallest in the world.
  Brady really wanted to go all the way to the top and stand out on the ledge.  Our ears were popping in the elevator as we went up 103 floors to the top.


The view from the top was amazing.  They say on a clear day you can see five miles
in all four directions and all four walls on the top floor were windows that you could look out
at the view.



 Eric and Brady stepped out on the glass edge.  I didn't plan on doing it, but wanted to impress a certain ten year old who thought there was no way I would do it!  I stepped onto the ledge for about three seconds and literally felt sick to my stomach.  Brady thinks they should replace
the glass everyday up there so there aren't scuff marks on it...and it will be super clear when you
stand on it. :)


My cell phone died shortly after we got back on the tour bus.  I'm thinking that
was probably a good thing...although I wish I had more pictures.  Without my camera,
I was able to sit back and enjoy the ride.  It was a gorgeous day.







I sure hope we get back to Chicago again someday....next time for a little longer!
Plus, I need to go back because I forgot to get a picture of the BEST hot dog EVER! :)  

Next up, Brady's tournament.  I think enough time has passed that I will be able 
to finally talk about it.



5 comments:

Kris said...

Kerri,
What terrific photos you got of the city! I have never been there, but would love to go one day. I wouldn't have stepped out on the glass ledge!!! Ew!!!
XO Kris

yaya said...

Love it! I'm heading there next weekend to visit Mom and family. I enjoy seeing my hometown from the eyes of visitors. G's is the best pizza! Mom lives 30 miles west of the city...where did you stay? Great pics, I'm looking forward to hearing about the tournament.

Holly said...

My cousin had visited Chicago many times and fell in love with the city. Last year she applied for a job online there and packed up and moved!!
I am so jealous of her adventurous side-- and looking at your pictures makes me want to visit her so bad!

{cindy} said...

Chicago is soooo beautiful isn't it!?:) I knew you would love it and have a ball.
I agree with you, I love seeing all the people bustling about living their active cool city lives!:)
you took some great pictures kerri!
have a happy day

Cindy said...

I'm catching up on blogs tonight! I love this post and it looks like you definitely made the most of your time! We made a whirlwind trip to Chicago but were there less than 8 hours!! (Hopefully I will do a post!). We have family there, but it seems I've rarely been to Chicago in the summer! So fun and so much to do!

 
site design by designer blogs