Tuesday, September 7, 2010

About Those Corn On The Cob Cupcakes...









Remember I said I was going to make these cupcakes for a
 Labor Day Cookout?  Well, I didn't get to make them.  My friend asked if I could bring a dessert...something other than "cake" since
 she was making a cake for her husband's birthday...to have at the cookout.  Bummer!  In her defense, she didn't have
any idea what I was planning to bring. 
 So, I decided to make these:



It's a good thing most people ate birthday cake...because I didn't think they tasted like anything great at all!  The recipe called for almond...which I'm not a fan of, but put it in anyway.  I should have added vanilla instead.    I had a hard time understanding the directions...so my husband went ahead and rolled the dough and figured it out for me. (He's nice like that!) The sesame seeds and raisens helped to make them look more like watermelon.   If anyone is interested in this recipe...let me know and I'll get the recipe to you.  It didn't make "the cut" for my blog...so I won't be posting it!



I also made this for the cookout...and this
recipe is definately worth sharing!


Corn on the Cob Potato Salad

This is one of my go to recipes in the summer when we are invited somewhere.
It is so colorful and everyone always wants the recipe.
(ps. not one person asked for the watermelon cookie recipe...
whats that tell ya?!)




Here's what you'll need:

1 1/2 lbs. small red potatoes
2 cups cooked corn and cut from cob
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 TBS. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 TBS. chopped parsley


Bring potatoes to a boil and then simmer about 15 mins until just cooked.
  Cut potaoes into halves or quarters.  In a large bowl, combine corn,
onion, celery and potatoes.  In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine
oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and thyme.  Shake well.  Pour over salad
and stir.  Add parsley and stir again. 
Makes 8 servings.



I like to make this the night before and refrigerate...I think it taste better that way.
I also don't follow the recipe perfectly....I do 4 lbs of potatoes and then improvise
with the rest. 
 I hope you'll try it!





15 comments:

Jess said...

I have taken an awful treat to a party too. I wanted to throw it out immediately! I love it when people ask for my recipes.

At least the cookies were real cute! The potato salad looks divine.

Let me know how that book is. I love to read and have thought about joining a book swap club. I also love your necklace! Super cute!

sloan said...

Wow, that salad really does have tons of visual punch, I love all the colors ... not to mention it looks absolutely delicious!! Thanks for sharing the recipe, this one looks like a keeper!!

Miss. C said...

That looks amazing!!! I may have to try to make that!!

{cindy} said...

Sorry your cookies didn't turn out as planned...don't ya just hate that!!
That salad looks very colorful and I'm sure very yummy...if you like corn!:) Everyone in my family loves it but me, am I strange!?!:)
Enjoy the night

CB said...

The potato salad looks VERY yummy - I will definately be trying out that recipe. I love the pieces of corn on the cob in there, it just adds and extra...something something!
The Watermelon cookies look really pretty even though they didn't make your cut.

Susan R said...

okay, here's something so crazy, but i have a red food coloring phobia, so i'll have to skip the adorable cookies, but that salad is a keeper. just my kind of thing.

Stef said...

Wowza! That looks so yummy! And the watermelons, the fun in eating the would be enough for me!

Jen said...

Cute cookies! Not a huge fan of almond flavoring here either!
The potato salad looks amazing! I'll add it to my wanna try list!

Nicolle said...

The cookies are so cute and I know they were time consuming. I'm sorry they didn't taste like you wanted. They are still blog worthy and I love the photo! :)

I love your potato salad. Looks and sounds so delicious. I will try it as well. I have never seen it with corn. yum!

Have a good week!

Barb Scott said...

That salad looks wonderful! I'm off to the Farm Market.

Nicolle said...

ps....we went to that Dr Pepper place yesterday (i posted about it yesterday afteroon)...I thought of you b/c you wrote that I'm a Pepper song on my comment. Boyd played with stickers that said that and it made me laugh!

Steph @ Professors_Wife said...

Ohh my gosh, the potato salad looks and sounds so great! I'm going to try this out sometime soon, especially since it still feels summery outside - maybe this weekend! Thanks for sharing! Your food is always SO pretty.

cookies and cups said...

Those cookies are super cute!!

Stephanie said...

The cookies are adorable! I'm sorry they didn't turn out so good though. The potato salad is gorgeous! Thanks for the recipe! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Kerri, Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind comments! I am enjoying your writing and photos as well! It looks like you have a lovely family :)

Pam Querin

 
site design by designer blogs